Our client is a specialist Engineering Company based in Gateshead. Continued investment has led to their current requirement for a Lab Technician within their Metrology department. On offer is an attractive salary and real job security.
- Maintaining the accuracy of the two chemical analysis spectrometers by means of regular standard checks, re-standardisation and routine maintenance.
- Preparation and analysis of live metal samples.
- Raising and issuing chemical analysis and updating computer records.
- Testing of all other materials that come into the Laboratory.
- Maintaining sample preparation equipment such as changing cutting wheels, grinding cups and grinding stones and generally keeping equipment clean and in good working order.
- Preparation of metallurgical samples with various equipment including cutting, grinding, mounting, polishing and etching.
- Examination including image analysis of metallurgical samples.
- Understanding of the materials produced and their relevant microstructures.
- Various other testing of metals and materials such as hardness testing, moisture testing, dye pen testing, sieve testing, loss on ignition testing, solids testing and density testing.
- Involvement in trial Laboratory heat treatments and testing.
- Filing of laboratory samples and results and updating other computerised records
- Chemical analysis of non-routine samples.
- Any other tasks that may be assigned by the Plant Technical Manager
- You must have experience of working in a metallurgical laboratory preferred.
- Experience in an engineering environment desirable.
- You will be educated to a minimum of HND level of equivalent.
- Excellent team work and communication skills.
- Health and safety awareness is required.
- Have the ability to use initiative and judgement to make decisions and solve problems.